Genesee Co-op FCU is located in the southeast section of the City of Rochester, NY. Most residents think of this section of the city as the South Wedge, although it is actually made up of a number of different neighborhoods in the southeast part of the City.
RochesterCityLiving.com describes the SOUTHEAST neighborhoods like this:
- Housing covers the gamut from charming cottages in Swillburg and South Wedge, substantial single-family homes in the Ellwanger-Barry and Highland-Cobbs Hill areas to landmark dwellings in historic Wadsworth Square and estate-like Greek Revival mansions and grounds on East and Park Avenues, plus condos and charming apartments, both new and converted.
- Neighborhoods offer distinctive housing in scenic and historic settings, tree-lined streets with park views, revitalized commercial areas with unique boutiques and restaurants and an active social context for young singles.
- Public schools include Monroe High School, the School of the Arts, School Without Walls and several elementary schools.
- The major employers are institutions, of which the largest is the University of Rochester and its Medical Center, consisting of Highland and Strong Memorial Hospitals.
- Scenic, leisure-time and cultural resources abound: Rochester Museum and Science Center and Planetarium, the Eastman House International Museum of Photography, Cobb's Hill Recreation Area and Center (fishing/skating pond, tennis courts. playing fields and playground) and Highland Park's 155 acres of famous lilacs and other blooms, the Highland Bowl concert stage and scenic, historic Mt. Hope Cemetery. Parkland in the Southeast totals 1,195 acres.
South Wedge Neighborhood
The South Wedge is a diverse community and hub of activity. For more information about our immediate neighborhood, read the following article from The Daily Record: rochestercityliving. Other valuable resources include the South Wedge Planning Committee's website at http://www.swpc.org/ and the South Wedge online community at http://southwedge.ning.com/. SWPC was actively involved in recruiting the Board of Genesee Co-op FCU to move into the neighborhood in the mid-90's. The CU made the move to the South Wedge neighborhood in 1998, expanding to serve Rochester neighborhoods rather than just Rochester area organizations. Please visit our About Us page for more specifics about the neighborhoods and organizations we proudly serve.
Our Members make the difference.
Member Since 2007
Alina had a car loan with HSBC that was at 18.26% which we refinanced for her at the credit union at 8.25% after she made on time payments for one year.
"Basically what institutions like our CU does for 'underserved' people like me, is to put a little faith and trust in our financial life. And that is all we need in order to get out of our broken situation. Believing in the human ability to overcome any situation just by supporting them is enough.
We human beings have an extraordinary capacity or resilience to move on to the next level and then aim for a better future.
I am a true example of that ... A woman with such a bleak financial broken history and here there is a bank in a city where I never imagined myself living someday who put a little bit of that 'faith' in me. What a miracle!"