First Mortgages for Purchase & Refinance
We work closely with first-time home buyers to help them get mortgage-ready and have developed ways to assist our lower-income members or those building their credit history to qualify for a mortgage. Homebuyer education workshops, one-on-one budgeting sessions and other resources may be arranged to assist members in preparing for home ownership.
Through our partnership with BALANCE, you can find a valuable financial education tool to help members thinking about becoming a homeowner. This program will cover everything you need to know in order to start the home-buying process off right.
We also recommend that you be in touch with one of the LOCAL Home Buyer Education (Pre and Post-Purchase) and Home Purchase Resource Partners in the area:
- Marketview Heights Neighborhood Association
- NeighborWorks Rochester
- Urban League of Rochester's Home Store
The OwnersChoice website offers members many useful tools for the home buying or refinance process including:
- FINANCIAL CALCULATORS to help you determine what you'd qualify to borrow, how long it would take to recoup your closing costs on a refinance mortgage, etc. Go to OwnersChoice Financial Calculators
- OwnersChoice's Secure Online Mortgage Application streamlines the processing of your request. Go to the OwnersChoice Application Page to "Apply Online". Be sure to choose the "Albany" office when applying.
- Click on this link for our current mortgage rates.
Our Members make the difference.
Member Since 1993
"I was working at Godiva's clothing store on Monroe Avenue when the credit union opened just down the street; so I decided to use them for my checking and savings accounts. Everyone there was friendly and community-oriented. Then I needed a used car loan and they helped with that too. Most importantly, in 2004, I got my mortgage through them, a 30-year-fixed at less than 6 percent interest. It took about a year to secure because the house had to be rehabilitated but they helped me discover the Southwedge Planning Committee to make it happen. It was exciting. They also helped my wife, who is from Colombia (South America), establish credit. In the meantime, they've helped me with my second and third car loans. I like the fact that they're in the neighborhood and when you walk in, the atmosphere just feels friendly. One of my friends had her artwork displayed on the walls. The credit union has helped me a lot and I've always referred my friends there."