First Mortgages for Purchase & Refinance
We work closely with first-time home buyers to help them get mortgage-ready and have developed ways to assist our lower-income members or those building their credit history to qualify for a mortgage. Homebuyer education workshops, one-on-one budgeting sessions and other resources may be arranged to assist members in preparing for home ownership.
Through our partnership with BALANCE, you can find a valuable financial education tool to help members thinking about becoming a homeowner. This program will cover everything you need to know in order to start the home-buying process off right.
We also recommend that you be in touch with one of the LOCAL Home Buyer Education (Pre and Post-Purchase) and Home Purchase Resource Partners in the area:
- Marketview Heights Neighborhood Association
- NeighborWorks Rochester
- Urban League of Rochester's Home Store
The OwnersChoice website offers members many useful tools for the home buying or refinance process including:
- FINANCIAL CALCULATORS to help you determine what you'd qualify to borrow, how long it would take to recoup your closing costs on a refinance mortgage, etc. Go to OwnersChoice Financial Calculators
- OwnersChoice's Secure Online Mortgage Application streamlines the processing of your request. Go to the OwnersChoice Application Page to "Apply Online". Be sure to choose the "Albany" office when applying.
- Click on this link for our current mortgage rates.
Our Members make the difference.
Member Since 1985
"I joined the credit union because my bank was starting to charge fees for different transactions and setting a minimum amount on how much you had to have in your account. I decided it was time to put my money where my mouth was and support local businesses. So, I opened a checking and saving account with the credit union. In 2004, I got a mortgage with them - which they helped me stay on top of when I was laid off for a short period. I have direct deposit there for work and I did open up a line of credit there many years ago; I don't use it often but it's nice to know it’s there in case I do need it. People at the credit union dress differently, they don't wear suits and they're down to earth. When I go there, it's friendly and welcoming. I like the brickwork and the fact that they have local artwork on the walls. Most of my friends already bank there."